#10. Yunus *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Alif Lam Ra. These are the Ayat of the Book of Wisdom
2. It is a matter of wonderment to men that We have set Our
inspiration to a man from among themselves? That he should warn
mankind (of their danger) and give the good news to the Believers
that they have before their Lord the lofty rank of Truth (but)
say the Unbelievers: "This is indeed an evident sorcerer!"
3. Verily your Lord is Allah Who created the heavens and the
earth in six Days and is firmly established on the Throne (of
authority) regulating and governing all things. No intercessor
(can plead with Him) except after His leave (hath been obtained).
This is Allah your Lord; Him therefore serve ye: will ye not
celebrate His praises?
4. To Him will be your return of all of you. The promise of Allah
is true and sure. It is He Who beginneth the process of Creation
and repeateth it that He may reward with justice those who
believe and work righteousness but those who reject Him will have
nothing but draughts of boiling fluids and Penalty grievous:
because they did reject Him
5. It is He Who made the sun to be a shining glory and the moon
to be a light (of beauty) and measured out stages for her: that
ye might know the number of years and the count (of time). Nowise
did Allah create this but in truth and righteousness. (Thus) doth
He explain his Signs in detail for those who understand
6. Verily in the alternation of the Night and the Day and in all
that Allah hath created in the heavens and the earth are Signs
for those who fear Him
7. Those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us but are
pleased and satisfied with the life of the present and those who
heed not Our Signs
8. Their abode is the Fire because of the (evil) they earned
9. Those who believe and work righteousness their Lord will guide
them because of their faith: beneath them will flow rivers in
Gardens of Bliss
10. (This will be) their cry therein: "Glory to Thee O Allah!"
and "Peace" will be their greeting therein! And the close of
their cry will be: "Praise be to Allah the Cherisher and
Sustainer of the Worlds!"
11. If Allah were to hasten for men the ill (they have earned) as
they would fain hasten on the good then would their respite be
settled at once. But We leave those who rest not their hope of
their meeting with Us in their trespasses wandering in
distraction to and fro
12. When trouble toucheth a man he crieth unto Us (in all
postures) lying down on his side or sitting or standing. But when
We have solved his trouble he passeth on his way as if he had
never cried to Us for a trouble that touched him! Thus do the
deeds of transgressors seem fair in their eyes!
13. Generations before you We destroyed when they did wrong:
their Apostles came to them with Clear Signs but they would not
believe! Thus do We requite those who sin!
14. Then We made you heirs in the land after them to see how ye
15. But when Our Clear Signs are rehearsed unto them those who
rest not their hope on their meeting with Us say: "Bring us a
Reading other than this or change this." Say: "It is not for me
of my own accord to change it: I follow naught but what is
revealed unto me: if I were to disobey my Lord I should myself
fear the Penalty of a Great Day (to come)."
16. Say: "If Allah had so willed I should not have rehearsed it
to you nor would He have made it known to you. A whole lifetime
before this have I tarried amongst you: will ye not then
17. Who doth more wrong than such as forge a lie against Allah or
deny His Signs? But never will prosper those who sin
18. They serve besides Allah things that hurt them not nor profit
them and they say: "These are our intercessors with Allah." Say:
"Do ye indeed inform Allah of something He knows not in the
heavens or on earth? Glory to Him! and far is He above the
partners they ascribe (to Him)!"
19. Mankind was but one nation but differed (later). Had it not
been for a word that went forth before from thy Lord their
differences would have been settled between them
20. They say: "Why is not a Sign sent down to him from his Lord?"
Say: "The Unseen is only for Allah (to know). Then wait ye: I too
will wait with you."
21. When We make mankind taste of some mercy after adversity hath
touched them Behold! they take to plotting against our Signs!
Say: "Swifter to plan is Allah!" Verily Our messengers record
all the plots that ye make!
22. He it is Who enableth you to traverse through land and sea;
so that ye even board ships they sail with them with a favorable
wind and they rejoice thereat; then comes a stormy wind and the
waves come to them from all sides and they think they are being
overwhelmed: they cry unto Allah sincerely offering (their) duty
unto Him saying "If Thou dost deliver us from this we shall truly
show our gratitude!"
23. But when He delivereth them Behold! they transgress
insolently through the earth in defiance of right! O mankind!
your insolence is against your own souls an enjoyment of the life
of the Present: in the end to Us is your return and We shall show
you the truth of all that ye did
24. The likeness of the life of the present is as the rain which
We send down from the skies: by its mingling arises the produce
of the earth which provides food for men and animals: (it grows)
till the earth is clad with its golden ornaments and is decked
out (in beauty): the people to whom it belongs think they have
all powers of disposal over it: there reaches it Our command by
night or by day and We make it like a harvest clean-mown as if it
had not flourished only the day before! Thus do We explain the
Signs in detail for those who reflect
25. But Allah doth call to the Home of Peace: He doth guide whom
He pleaseth to a way that is straight
26. To those who do right is a goodly (reward) yea more (than in
measure)! No darkness nor shame shall cover their faces! They are
Companions of the Garden; they will abide therein (for aye)!
27. But those who have earned evil will have a reward of like
evil: ignominy will cover their (faces): no defender will they
have from (the wrath of) Allah: their faces will be covered as it
were with pieces from the depth of the darkness of Night: they
are Companions of the Fire: the will abide therein (for aye)!
28. One Day shall We gather them all together. Then shall We say
to those who joined gods (with Us): "To your place! ye and those
ye joined as `partners.'" We shall separate them and their
"partners" shall say: "It was not us that ye worshipped!"
29. "Enough is Allah for a witness between us and you: we
certainly knew" nothing of your worship of us!
30. There will every soul prove (the fruits of) the deeds it sent
before: they will be brought back to Allah their rightful Lord
and their invented falsehoods will leave them in the lurch
31. Say: "Who is it that sustains you (in life) from the sky and
from the earth? Or who is it that has power over hearing and
sight? And who is it that brings out the living from the dead and
the dead from the living? And who is it that rules and regulates
all affairs?" They will soon say "Allah." Say "Will ye not then
show piety (to Him)?"
32. Such is Allah your real Cherisher and Sustainer: apart from
Truth what (remains) but error? How then are ye turned away?
33. Thus is the Word of thy Lord proved true against those who
rebel: verily they will not believe
34. Say: "Of your `partners' can any originate creation and
repeat it?" Say: "It is Allah Who originates Creation and repeats
it: then how are ye deluded away (from the truth)?"
35. Say: "Of your `partners' is there any that can give any
guidance towards Truth?" Say: "It is Allah Who gives guidance
towards Truth. Is then He Who gives guidance to Truth more worthy
to be followed or he who finds not guidance (himself) unless he
is guided? What then is the matter with you? How judge ye?"
36. But most of them follow nothing but fancy: truly fancy can be
of no avail against Truth. Verily Allah is well aware of all that
37. This Qur'an is not such as can be produced by other than
Allah; on the contrary it is a confirmation of (revelations) that
went before it and a fuller explanation of the Book wherein there
is no doubt from the Lord of the Worlds
38. Or do they say "He forged it"? Say: "Bring then a Surah like
unto it and call (to your aid) anyone you can besides Allah if it
be ye speak the truth!"
39. Nay they charge with falsehood that whose knowledge they
cannot compass even before the elucidation thereof hath reached
them: thus did those before them make charges of falsehood: but
see what was the end of those who did wrong!
40. Of them there are some who believe therein and some who do
not: and thy Lord knoweth best those who are out for mischief
41. If they charge thee with falsehood say: "My work to me and
yours to you! Ye are free from responsibility for what I do and I
for what ye do!"
42. Among them are some who (pretend to) listen to thee: but
canst thou make the deaf to hear even though they are without
43. And among them are some who look at thee: but canst thou
guide the blind even though they will not see?
44. Verily Allah will not deal unjustly with man in aught: it is
man that wrongs his own soul
45. One day He will gather them together: (it will be) as if they
had tarried but an hour of a day: they will recognize each other:
assuredly those will be lost who denied the meeting with Allah
and refused to receive true guidance
46. Whether We show thee (realized in thy lifetime) some part of
what We promise them or We take thy soul (to Our Mercy) (before
that) in any case to Us is their return: ultimately Allah is
witness to all that they do
47. To every people (was sent) an Apostle: when their Apostle
comes (before them) the matter will be judged between them with
justice and they will not be wronged
48. They say: "When will this promise come to pass if ye speak
49. Say: "I have no power over any harm or profit to myself
except as Allah willeth. To every People is a term appointed:
when their term is reached not an hour can they cause delay nor
(an hour) can they advance (it in anticipation)
50. Say: "Do ye see if his punishment should come to you by night
or by day what portion of it would the Sinners wish to hasten?
51. "Would ye then believe in it at last when it actually cometh
to pass? (It will then be said): `Ah! now? And ye wanted
(aforetime) to hasten it on!"
52. "At length will be said to the wrongdoers: "Taste ye the
enduring punishment! Ye get but the recompense of what ye
53. They seek to be informed by thee: "Is that true?" Say: "Aye!
by my Lord! It is the very truth! and ye cannot frustrate it!"
54. Every soul that hath sinned if it possessed all that is on
earth would fain give it in ransom: they would declare (their)
repentance when they see the Penalty: but the judgment between
them will be with justice and no! wrong will be done unto them
55. Is it not (the case) that to Allah belongeth whatever is in
the heavens and on earth? Is it not (the case ) that Allah's
promise is assuredly true? Yet most of them understand not
56. Is it He Who giveth life and who taketh it and to Him shall
ye all be brought back
57. O mankind! there hath come to you a direction from your Lord
and a healing for the (diseases) in your hearts and for those who
believe a Guidance and a Mercy
58. Say: "In the Bounty of Allah and in His Mercy in that let
them rejoice": that is better than the (wealth) they hoard
59. Say: "See ye what things Allah hath sent down to you for
sustenance? Yet ye hold forbidden some things thereof and (some
things) lawful." Say: "Hath Allah indeed permitted you or do ye
invent (things) to attribute to Allah?"
60. And what think those who invent lies against Allah of the Day
of Judgment? Verily Allah is full of Bounty to mankind but most
of them are ungrateful
61. In whatever business thou mayest be and whatever portion thou
mayest be reciting from the Qur'an and whatever deed ye (mankind)
may be doing We are Witnesses thereof when ye are deeply
engrossed therein. Nor is hidden from thy Lord (so much as) the
weight of an atom on the earth or in heaven. And not the least
and not the greatest of these things but are recorded in a clear
62. Behold! verily on the friends of Allah there is no fear nor
shall they grieve;
63. Those who believe and (constantly) guard against evil
64. For them are Glad Tidings in the life of the Present and in
the Hereafter: no change can there be in the Words of Allah. This
is indeed the supreme Felicity.
65. Let not their speech grieve thee: for all power and honor
belong to Allah it is He Who heareth and knoweth (all things)
66. Behold! verily to Allah belong all creatures in the heavens
and on earth. What do they follow who worship as His "partners"
other than Allah? They follow nothing but fancy and they do
nothing but lie
67. He it is that hath made you the night that ye may rest
therein and the Day to make things visible (to you). Verily in
this are Signs for those who listen (to His Message)
68. They say "Allah hath begotten a son!" Glory be to Him! He is
self-sufficient! His are all things in the heavens and on earth!
No warrant have ye for this! Say ye about Allah what ye know not?
69. Say: "Those who invent a lie against Allah will never
70. A little enjoyment in this world! and then to Us will be
their return. Then shall We make them taste the severest Penalty
for their blasphemies
71. Relate to them the story of Noah. Behold! he said to his
People: "O my People! if it be hard on your (mind) that I should
stay (with you) and commemorate the Signs of Allah yet I put my
trust in Allah. Get ye then an agreement about your plan and
among your Partners so your plan be not to you dark and dubious.
Then pass your sentence on me and give me no respite
72. "But if ye turn back (consider): no reward have I asked of
you: my reward is only due from Allah and I have been commanded
to be of those who submit to Allah's Will (in Islam)."
73. They rejected him but We delivered him and those with him in
the Ark and We made them inherit (the earth) while We overwhelmed
in the Flood those who rejected Our Signs. Then see what was the
end of those who were warned (but heeded not)!
74. Then after him We sent (many) apostles to their Peoples: they
brought them Clear Signs but they would not believe what they had
already rejected beforehand. Thus do We seal the hearts of the
75. Then after them sent We Moses and Aaron to Pharaoh and his
chiefs with Our Signs. But they were arrogant: they were a people
76. When the Truth did come to them from Us they said: "This is
indeed evident sorcery!"
77. Said Moses: "Say ye (this) about the Truth when it hath
(actually) reached you? In sorcery (like) this? But sorcerers
will not prosper."
78. They said: "Hast thou come to us to turn us a way from the
ways We found our fathers following in order that thou and thy
brother may have greatness in the land? But not we shall believe
79. Said Pharaoh: "Bring me every sorcerer well-versed."
80. When the sorcerers came Moses said to them: "Throw ye what ye
(wish) to throw!"
81. When they had their throw Moses said: "What ye have brought
is sorcery: Allah will surely make it of no effect: for Allah
prospereth not the work of those who make mischief
82. "And Allah by His Words doth prove and establish his truth
however much the Sinners may hate it!"
83. But none believed in Moses except some children of his People
because of the fear of Pharaoh and his chiefs lest they should
persecute them; and certainly Pharaoh was mighty on the earth and
one who transgressed all bounds
84. Moses said: "O my People! if ye do (really) believe in Allah
then in Him put your trust if ye submit (your will to His)."
85. They said: "In Allah do we put our trust. Our Lord! make us
not a trial for those who practice oppression
86. "And deliver us by Thy Mercy from those who reject (Thee)."
87. We inspired Moses and his brother with this message: "Provide
dwellings for your People in Egypt make your dwellings into
places of worship and establish regular prayers: and give Glad
Tidings to those who believe!"
88. Moses prayed: "Our Lord! Thou hast indeed bestowed on Pharaoh
and his Chiefs splendor and wealth in the life of the Present and
so our Lord they mislead (men) from Thy Path. Deface our Lord the
features of their wealth and send hardness to their hearts so
they will not believe until they see the grievous Penalty."
89. Allah said: "Accepted is your prayer (O Moses and Aaron)! So
stand ye straight and follow not the path of those who know not."
90. We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and
his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length when
overwhelmed with the flood he said: "I believe that there is no
god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of
those who submit (to Allah in Islam)"
91. (It was said to him): "Ah now! but a little while before wast
thou in rebellion! and thou didst mischief (and violence)!
92. "This day shall We save thee in thy body that thou mayest be
a Sign to those who come after thee! But verily many among
mankind are heedless of Our Signs!"
93. We settled the Children of Israel in a beautiful
dwelling-place and provided for them sustenance of the best: it
was after knowledge had been granted to them that they fell into
schisms. Verily Allah will judge between them as to the schisms
amongst them on the Day of Judgment
94. If thou wert in doubt as to what We have revealed unto thee
then ask those who have been reading the Book from before thee:
the Truth hath indeed come to thee from thy Lord: so be in nowise
of those in doubt
95. Nor be of those who reject the Signs of Allah or thou shalt
be of those who perish.
96. Those against whom the Word of thy Lord hath been verified
would not believe
97. Even if every Sign was brought unto them until they see (for
themselves) the Penalty Grievous
98. Why was there not a single township (among those We warmed)
which believed so its Faith should have profited it except the
people of Jonah? When they believed We removed from them the
Penalty of Ignominy in the life of the Present and permitted them
to enjoy (their life) for a while
99. If it had been the Lord's Will they would all have believed
all who are on earth! Wilt thou then compel mankind against their
will to believe!
100. No soul can believe except by the Will of Allah and He will
place Doubt (or obscurity) on those who will not understand
101. Say: "Behold all that is in the heavens and on earth"; but
neither Signs nor Warners profit those who believe not
102. Do they then expect (anything) but (what happened in) the
days of the men who passed away before them? Say: "Wait ye then:
for I too will wait with you."
103. In the end We deliver Our apostles and those who believe:
thus is it fitting on Our part that We should deliver those who
104. Say: "O ye men! if ye are in doubt as to my religion
(behold!) I worship not what ye worship other than Allah But I
worship Allah Who will take your souls (at death): I am commanded
to be (in the ranks) of the Believers
105. "And further (thus): `Set thy face towards Religion with
true piety and never in anywise be of the Unbelievers
106. "Nor call on any other than Allah such will neither profit
thee nor hurt thee: if thou dost Behold! thou shalt certainly be
of those who do wrong."
107. If Allah do touch thee with hurt there is none can remove it
but He: if He do design some benefit for thee there is none can
keep back His favor: He causeth it to reach whomsoever of His
servants He pleaseth. And He is the Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful
108. Say: "O ye men! now Truth hath reached you from your Lord!
Those who receive guidance do so for the good of their own souls;
those who stray do so to their own loss: and I am not (set) over
you to arrange your affairs."
109. Follow thou the inspiration sent unto thee and be patient
and constant till Allah doth decide: for He is the Best to decide