#14. Ibrahim *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Alif Lam Ra. A Book which We have revealed unto thee in order
that thou mightest lead mankind out of the depths of darkness
into light by the leave of their Lord to the Way of (Him)
Exalted in Power Worthy of all Praise!
2. Of Allah to Whom do belong all things in the heavens and on
earth! But alas for the Unbelievers for a terrible Penalty (their
Unfaith will bring them)!
3. Those who love the life of this world more than the Hereafter
who hinder (men) from the Path of Allah and seek therein
something crooked: they are astray by a long distance
4. We sent an apostle except (to teach) in the language of his
(own) people in order to make (things) clear to them. Now Allah
leaves straying those whom He pleases and guides whom He pleases:
and He is Exalted in power Full of Wisdom
5. We sent Moses with Our Signs (and the command) "Bring out thy
people from the depths of darkness into light and teach them to
remember the Days of Allah." Verily in this there are Signs for
such as are firmly patient and constant grateful and appreciative
6. Remember! Moses said to his people: "Call to mind the favor of
Allah to you when He delivered you from the people of Pharaoh:
They set you hard tasks and punishments slaughtered your sons and
let your womenfolk live: therein was a tremendous trial from your
7. And remember! your Lord caused to be declared (publicly): "If
ye are grateful I will add more (favors) unto you; but if ye show
ingratitude truly My punishment is terrible indeed."
8. And Moses said: "If ye show ingratitude ye and all on earth
together yet is Allah Free of all wants Worthy of all praise
9. Has not the story reached you (O people!) of those who (went)
before you? of the people of Noah and `Ad and Thamud? and of
those who (came) after them? None knows them but Allah. To them
came apostles with Clear (Signs); but they put their hands up to
their mouths and said: "We do deny (the mission) on which ye have
been sent and we are really in suspicious (disquieting) doubt as
to that to which ye invite us."
10. Their apostles said: "Is there a doubt about Allah the
Creator of the heavens and the earth? It is He Who invites you in
order that He may forgive you your sins and give you respite for
a term appointed!" They said: "Ah! ye are no more than human like
ourselves! Ye wish to turn us away from the (gods) our fathers
used to worship: then bring us some clear authority."
11. Their apostles said to them: "True we are human like
yourselves but Allah doth grant His grace to such of His servants
as He pleases. It is not for us to bring you an authority except
as Allah permits. And on Allah let all men of faith put their
12. "No reason have we why we should not put our trust on Allah.
Indeed He has guided us to the Ways we (follow). We shall
certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us: for
those who put their trust should put their trust on Allah."
13. And the Unbelievers said to their apostles: "Be sure we shall
drive you out of our land or ye shall return to our religion."
But their Lord inspired (this Message) to them: "Verily We shall
cause the wrongdoers to perish!
14. "And verily We shall cause you to abide in the land and
succeed them. This for such as fear the time when they shall
stand before My tribunal such as fear the punishment denounced."
15. But they sought victory and decision (there and then) and
frustration was the lot of every powerful obstinate transgressor
16. In front of such a one is Hell and he is given for drink
boiling fetid water
17. In gulps will he sip it but never well he be near swallowing
it down his throat: Death will come to him from every quarter yet
will he not die: and in front of him will be a chastisement
18. The parable of those who reject their Lord is that their
works are as ashes on which the wind blows furiously on a
tempestuous day: No power have they over aught that they have
earned: That is the straying far far (from the goal)
19. Seest thou not that Allah created the Heavens and the earth
in Truth? If He so will He can remove you and put (in your place)
a new Creation?
20. Nor is that for Allah any great matter
21. They will all be marshalled before Allah together: then will
the weak say to those who were arrogant "For us we but followed
you; can ye then avail us at all against the wrath of Allah?"
They will reply "If we had received the guidance of Allah we
should have given it to you: to us it makes no difference (now)
whether we rage or bear (these torments) with patience: for
ourselves there is no way of escape."
22. And Satan will say when the matter is decided: "It was Allah
Who gave you a promise of truth: I too promised but I failed in
my promise to you. I had no authority over you except to call you
but ye listened to me: then reproach not me but reproach your own
souls. I cannot listen to your cries nor can ye listen to mine. I
reject your former act in associating me with Allah. For
wrongdoers there must be a Grievous Penalty."
23. But those who believe and work righteousness will be admitted
to Gardens beneath which rivers flow to dwell therein for aye
with the leave of their Lord: their greeting therein will be:
24. Seest thou not how Allah sets forth a parable? a goodly Word
like a goodly tree whose root is firmly fixed and its branches
(reach) to the heavens
25. It brings forth its fruit at all times by the leave of its
Lord. So Allah sets forth parables for men in order that they may
26. And the parable of an evil Word is that of an evil tree. It
is torn up by the root from the surface of the earth: it has no
27. Allah will establish in strength those who believe with the
Word that stands firm in this world and in the Hereafter; but
Allah will leave to stray those who do wrong: Allah doeth what He
28. Hast thou not turned thy vision to those who have changed the
favor of Allah into blasphemy and caused their people to descend
to the House of Perdition?
29. Into Hell? They will burn therein an evil place to stay in!
30. And they set up (idols) as equal to Allah to mislead (men)
from the Path! Say: "Enjoy (your brief power)! But verily ye are
making straightway for Hell!"
31. Speak to My servants who have believed that they may
establish regular prayers and spend (in charity) out of the
Sustenance We have given them secretly and openly before the
coming of a Day in which there will be neither mutual bargaining
32. It is Allah Who hath created the heavens and the earth and
sendeth down rain from the skies and with it bringeth out fruits
wherewith to feed you it is He Who hath made the ships subject to
you that they may sail through the sea by His command; and the
rivers (also) hath He made subject to you
33. And He hath made subject to you the sun and the moon both
diligently pursuing their courses: and the Night and the Day hath
He (also) made subject you
34. And He giveth you of all that ye ask for. But if ye count the
favors of Allah never will ye be able to number them: verily man
is given up to injustice and ingratitude
35. Remember Abraham said: "O my Lord! make this city one of
peace and security: and preserve me and my sons from worshipping
36. "O my Lord! they have indeed led astray many among mankind:
he then who follows my (ways) is of me and he that disobeys me
but thou art indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful
37. "O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring to dwell in a
valley without cultivation by thy Sacred House; in order O our
Lord that they may establish regular prayer: so fill the hearts
of some among men with love towards them and feed them with
Fruits: so that they may give thanks
38. "O our Lord! truly Thou dost know what we conceal and what we
reveal: for nothing whatever is hidden from Allah whether on
earth or in heaven
39. "Praise be to Allah who hath granted unto me in old age
Ismail and Isaac: for truly my Lord is He the Hearer of Prayer!
40. "O my Lord! make me one who establishes regular Prayer and
also (raise such) among my offspring O our Lord! and accept Thou
41. "O our Lord! cover (us) with Thy Forgiveness me my parents
and (all) Believers on the Day that the Reckoning will be
42. Think not that Allah doth not heed the deeds of those who do
wrong. He but giveth them respite against a Day when the eyes
will fixedly stare in horror
43. They are running forward with necks outstretched their heads
uplifted their gaze returning not towards them and their hearts a
44. So warn mankind of the Day when the Wrath will reach them:
then will the wrongdoers say: "Our Lord! respite us (if only) for
a short term: we will answer Thy Call and follow the apostles!"
"What! were ye not wont to swear aforetime that ye should suffer
45. "And ye dwelt in the dwellings of men who wronged their own
souls: ye were clearly shown how We dealt with them; and We put
forth many parables in your behalf!"
46. Mighty indeed were the plots which they made but their plots
were (well) within the sight of Allah even though they were such
as to shake the hills!
47. Never think that Allah would fail His apostles in His
promise: for Allah is Exalted in power the Lord of Retribution
48. One day the Earth will be changed to a different Earth and so
will be the Heavens and (men) will be marshalled forth before
Allah the One the Irresistible
49. And thou wilt see the Sinners that day bound together in
50. Their garments of liquid pitch and their faces covered with
51. That Allah may requite each soul according to its deserts;
and verily Allah is Swift in calling account
52. Here is a Message for mankind: let them take warning
therefrom and let them know that He is (no other than) One Allah:
let men of understanding take heed