#7. Araaf *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Alif Lam Mim Sad
2. A Book revealed unto thee so let thy heart be oppressed no
more by any difficulty on that account that with it thou mightest
warn (the erring) and teach the believers
3. Follow (O men!) the revelation given unto you from your Lord
and follow not as friends or protectors other than Him. Little it
is ye remember of admonition
4. How many towns have We destroyed (for their sins)? Our
punishment took them on a sudden by night or while they slept for
their afternoon rest
5. When (thus) our punishment took them no cry did they utter but
this "indeed we did wrong."
6. Then shall We question those to whom Our message was sent and
those by whom We sent it.
7. And verily We shall recount their whole story with knowledge
for We were never absent (at any time or place)
8. The balance that day will be true (to a nicety): those whose
scale (of good) will be heavy will prosper
9. Those whose scale will be light will find their souls in
perdition for that they wrongfully treated our signs
10. It is We who have placed you with authority on earth and
provided you therein with means for the fulfillment of your life:
small are the thanks that ye give!
11. It is We who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the
angels bow down to Adam and they bowed down; not so Iblis; he
refused to be of those who bow down
12. (Allah) said: "what prevented thee from bowing down when I
commanded thee?" He said: "I am better than he: thou didst
create me from fire and him from clay."
13. (Allah) said: "Get thee down from this: it is not for thee to
be arrogant here: get out for thou art of the meanest (of
14. He said: "give me respite till the day they are raised up."
15. (Allah) said: "be thou among those who have respite."
16. He said: "because Thou hast thrown me out of the way lo! I
will lie in wait for them on Thy straight way
17. "Then will I assault them from before them and behind them
from their right and their left: nor wilt Thou find in most of
them gratitude (for Thy mercies)
18. (Allah) said: "Get out from this disgraced and expelled. If
any of them follow thee hell will I fill with you all
19. O Adam! dwell thou and thy wife in the garden and enjoy (its
good things) as ye wish: but approach not this tree or ye run
into harm and transgression."
20. Then began satan to whisper suggestions to them bringing
openly before their minds all their shame that was hidden from
them (before): he said "Your Lord only forbade you this tree lest
ye should become angels or such beings as live for ever."
21. And he swore to them both that he was their sincere adviser
22. So by deceit he brought about their fall: when they tasted of
the tree their shame became manifest to them and they began to
sew together the leaves of the garden over their bodies. And
their Lord called unto them: "Did I not forbid you that tree and
tell you that satan was an avowed enemy unto you?"
23. They said: "our Lord! we have wronged our own souls: if Thou
forgive us not and bestow not upon us Thy mercy we shall
certainly be lost."
24. (Allah) said: "Get ye down with enmity between yourselves. On
earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood
for a time."
25. He said: "therein shall ye live and therein shall ye die; but
from it shall ye be taken out (at last)."
26. O ye children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to
cover your shame as well as to be an adornment to you but the
raiment of righteousness that is the best. Such are among the
signs of Allah that they may receive admonition!
27. O ye children of Adam! let not satan seduce you in the same
manner as he got your parents out of the garden stripping them of
their raiment to expose their shame: for he and his tribe watch
you from a position where ye cannot see them: We made the evil
ones friends (only) to those without faith
28. When they do aught that is shameful they say: "We found our
fathers doing so"; and "Allah commanded us thus": say: "Nay Allah
never commands what is shameful: do ye say of Allah what ye know
29. Say: "My Lord hath commanded justice; and that ye set your
whole selves (to him) at every time and place of prayer and call
upon him making your devotion sincere as in his sight: such as he
created you in the beginning so shall ye return"
30. Some He hath guided: others have (by their choice) deserved
the loss of their way: in that they took the evil ones in
preference to Allah for their friends and protectors and think
that they receive guidance
31. O children of Adam! wear your beautiful apparel at every time
and place of prayer: eat and drink: but waste not by excess for
Allah loveth not the wasters
32. Say: Who hath forbidden the beautiful (gifts) of Allah which
He hath produced for his servants and the things clean and pure
(which He hath provided) for sustenance? Say: they are in the
life of this world for those who believe (and) purely for them on
the Day of Judgment. Thus do We explain the signs in detail for
those who understand
33. Say: The things that my Lord hath indeed forbidden are:
shameful deeds whether open or secret; sins and trespasses
against truth or reason; assigning of partners to Allah for which
he hath given no authority; and saying things about Allah of
which ye have no knowledge
34. To every people is a term appointed: when their term is
reached not an hour can they cause delay nor (an hour) can they
advance (it in anticipation)
35. O ye children of Adam! whenever there come to you apostles
from amongst you rehearsing my signs unto you those who are
righteous and mend (their lives) on them shall be no fear nor
shall they grieve
36. But those who reject our signs and treat them with arrogance
they are companions of the fire to dwell therein (for ever)
37. Who is more unjust than one who invents a lie against Allah
or rejects his signs? For such their portion appointed must
reach them from the Book (of decrees); until when Our messengers
(of death) arrive and take their souls they say: "where are the
things that ye used to invoke besides Allah?" They will reply
"they have left us in the lurch" and they will bear witness
against themselves that they had rejected Allah
38. He will say: "enter ye in the company of the peoples who
passed away before you men and Jinns into the fire. Every time a
new people enters it curses its sister-people (that went before)
until they follow each other all into the fire. Saith the last
about the first: "Our Lord! it is these that misled us: so give
them a double penalty in the fire." He will say: "doubled for
all": but this Ye do not understand
39. Then the first will say to the last: "see then! no advantage
have ye over us; so taste ye of the penalty for all that ye did!"
40. To those who reject Our signs and treat them with arrogance
no opening will there be of the gates of heaven nor will they
enter the garden until the camel can pass through the eye of the
needle: such is Our reward for those in sin
41. For them there is hell as a couch (below) and folds and folds
of covering above: such is Our requital of those who do wrong
42. But those who believe and work righteousness no burden do We
place on any soul but that which it can bear they will be
companions of the garden therein to dwell (for ever)
43. And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of
injury; beneath them will be rivers flowing; and they shall say:
"Praise be to Allah Who hath guided us to this (felicity): never
could we have found guidance had it not been for the guidance of
Allah: indeed it was the truth that the apostles of our Lord
brought unto us." And they Shall hear the cry: "Behold! the
garden before you! Ye have been made its inheritors for your
deeds (of righteousness)."
44. The companions of the garden will call out to the companions
of the fire: "We have indeed found the promises of our Lord to us
true: have you also found your Lord's promises true?" They shall
say "yes"; but a crier shall proclaim between them: "the curse of
Allah is on the wrong- doers;
45. "Those who would hinder (men) from the path of Allah and
would seek in it something crooked: they were those who Denied
46. Between them shall be a veil and on the heights will be men
who would know everyone by his marks: they will call out to the
companions of the garden "peace on you" they will not have
entered but they will have an assurance (thereof.)
47. When their eyes shall be turned towards the companions of the
fire they will say: "Our Lord! send us not to the company of the
48. The men on the heights will call to certain men whom they
will know from their marks saying: "Of what profit to you were
you hoards and your arrogant ways?
49. "Behold! are these not the men whom you swore that Allah with
his mercy would never bless? Enter ye the garden: no fear shall
be on you nor shall ye grieve."
50. The companions of the fire will call to the companions of the
garden; "pour down to us water or anything that Allah doth
provide for your sustenance." They will say: "Both these things
hath Allah forbidden to those who rejected Him
51. "Such as took their religion to be mere amusement and play
and were deceived by the life of the world." That day shall We
forget them as they forgot the meeting of this day of theirs and
as they were wont to reject Our signs
52. For We had certainly sent unto them a Book based on knowledge
which We explained in detail a guide and a mercy to all who
53. Do they just wait for the final fulfillment of the event? On
the day the event is finally fulfilled those who disregarded it
before will say: "the apostles of our Lord did indeed bring true
(tidings). Have we no intercessors now to intercede on our
behalf? Or could we be sent back? Then should we behave
differently from our behavior in the past." In fact they will
have lost their souls and the things they invented will leave
them in the lurch
54. Your guardian-Lord is Allah Who created the heavens and the
earth in six days and is firmly established on the throne (of
authority): He draweth the night as a veil O'er the day each
seeking the other in rapid succession: He created the sun the
moon and the stars (all) governed by laws under His command. Is
it not His to create and to govern? Blessed be Allah the
cherisher and sustainer of the worlds!
55. Call on your Lord with humility and in private: for Allah
loveth not those who trespass beyond bounds
56. Do no mischief on the earth after it hath been set in order
but call on Him with fear and longing (in your hearts): for the
mercy of Allah is (always) near to those who do good
57. It is He who sendeth the winds like heralds of glad tidings
going before His mercy: when they have carried the heavy-laden
clouds We drive them to a land that is dead make rain to descend
thereon and produce every kind of harvest therewith: thus shall
We raise up the dead: perchance ye may remember
58. From the land that is clean and good by the will of its
cherisher springs up produce (rich) after its kind: but from the
land that is bad spring up nothing but that which is niggardly:
thus do We explain the signs by various (symbols) to those who
59. We sent Noah to his people. He said: "O my people! worship
Allah! ye have no other god but Him. I fear for you the
punishment of a dreadful day!
60. The leaders of his people said: "Ah! we see thee evidently
wandering (in mind)."
61. He said: "O my people! no wandering is there in my (mind): on
the contrary I am an apostle from the Lord and Cherisher of the
62. "I but fulfil towards you the duties of my Lord's mission:
sincere is my advice to you and I know from Allah something that
ye know not
63. "Do ye wonder that there hath come to you a message from your
Lord through a man of your own people to warn you so that ye may
fear Allah and haply receive his mercy?"
64. But they rejected him and We delivered him and those with him
in the ark: But We overwhelmed in the flood those who rejected
our signs. They were indeed a blind people!
65. To the Ad people (We sent) Hud one of their (own) brethren:
He said: "O my people! worship Allah! ye have no other god but
Him. Will yet not fear (Allah)?"
66. The leaders of the unbelievers among his people said: "Ah! we
see thou art an imbecile!" and "we think thou art a liar!"
67. He said: "O my people! I am not imbecile but (I am) an
apostle from the Lord and Cherisher of the worlds!
68. "I but fulfil towards your the duties of my Lord's mission: I
am to you a sincere and trustworthy adviser
69. "Do ye wonder that there hath come to you a message from your
Lord through a man of your own people to warn you? call in
remembrance that he made you inheritors after the people of Noah
and gave you a stature tall among the nations. Call in
remembrance the benefits (ye have received) from Allah: that so
Ye may prosper."
70. They said: "Comest thou to us that we may worship Allah alone
and give up the cult of our fathers? Bring us what thou
threatenest us with if so be that thou tellest the truth!"
71. He said: "punishment and wrath have already come upon you
from your Lord: dispute ye with me over names which ye have
devised ye and your fathers without authority from Allah? Then
wait: I am amongst you also waiting."
72. We saved him and those who adhered to him by our mercy and We
cut off the roots of those who rejected our signs and did not
73. To the Thamud people (We sent) Saleh one of their own
brethren: he said: "O my people! worship Allah; ye have no other
god but Him. Now hath come unto you a clear (sign) from your
Lord! This she-camel of Allah is a sign unto you: so leave her
to graze in Allah's earth and let her come to no harm or ye shall
be seized with a grievous punishment
74. "And remember how He made you inheritors after the ad people
and gave you habitations in the land: ye build for yourselves
palaces and castles in (open) plains and carve out homes in the
mountains; so bring to remembrance the benefits (ye have
received) from Allah and refrain from evil and mischief on the
75. The leaders of the arrogant party among his people said to
those who were reckoned powerless those among them who believe:
"know ye indeed that Saleh is an apostle from his Lord?" They
said: "We do indeed believe in the revelation which hath been
sent through him."
76. The arrogant party said: "for our part we reject what ye
77. Then they ham-strung the she-camel and insolently defied the
order of their Lord saying: "O Saleh! bring about thy threats if
thou art an apostle (of Allah)!"
78. So the earthquake took them unawares and they lay prostrate
in their homes in the morning!
79. So Saleh left them saying: "O my people! I did indeed convey
to you the message for which I was sent by my Lord: I gave you
good counsel but ye love not good counsellors!"
80. We also (sent) Lut: he said to his people: "Do ye commit
lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before
81. "For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women:
ye are indeed people transgressing beyond bounds."
82. And his people gave no answer but this: they said "drive them
out of your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and
83. But We saved him and his family except his wife: she was of
those who lagged behind
84. And We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): then see
what was the end of those who indulged in sin and crime!
85. To the Madyan people We sent Shu`aib one of their own
brethren: he said: "O my people! worship Allah; Ye have no other
god but Him. Now hath come unto you a clear (sign) from your
Lord! Give just measure and weight nor withhold from the people
the things that are their due; and do no mischief on the earth
after it has been set in order: that will be best for you if
ye have faith
86. "And squat not on every road breathing threats hindering from
the path of Allah those who believe in Him and seeking in it
something crooked; but remember how ye were little and He gave
you increase. And hold in your mind's eye what was the end of
those who did mischief
87. "And if there is a party among you who believes in the
message with which I have been sent and a party which does not
believe hold yourselves in patience until Allah doth decide
between us: for He is the best to decide."
88. The leaders the arrogant party among his people said: "O
Shu`aib! we shall certainly drive thee out of our city (thee) and
those who believe with thee: or else ye (thou and they) shall
have to return to our ways and religion." He said: "what! even
though we do detest (them)?
89. "We should indeed invent a lie against Allah if we returned
to your ways after Allah hath rescued us therefrom: nor could we
by any manner of means return thereto unless it be as in the Will
and plan of Allah Our Lord. Our Lord can reach out to the utmost
recesses of things by His knowledge. In Allah is our trust. Our
Lord! decide thou between us and our people in truth for thou art
the best to decide."
90. The leaders the unbelievers among his people said "if ye
follow Shu`aib be sure then ye are ruined!"
91. But the earthquake took them unawares and they lay prostrate
in their homes before the morning!
92. The men who rejected Shu`aib became as if they had never been
in the homes where they had flourished: the men who rejected
Shu`aib it was they who were ruined!
93. So Shu`aib left them saying: "O my people! I did indeed
convey to you the messages for which I was sent by my Lord: I
gave you good counsel but how shall I lament over a people who
refuse to believe!
94. Whenever We sent a prophet to a town We took up its people
in suffering and adversity in order that they might learn
95. Then We changed their suffering into prosperity until they
grew and multiplied and began to say: "Our fathers (too) were
touched by suffering and affluence." Behold! We called them to
account of a sudden while they realized not (their peril)
96. If the people of the towns had but believed and feared Allah
We should indeed have opened out to them (all kinds of) blessings
from heaven and earth; but they rejected (the truth) and We
brought them to book for their misdeeds
97. Did the people of the towns feel secure against the coming of
our wrath by night while they were asleep?
98. Or else did they feel secure against its coming in broad
daylight while they played about (care-free)?
99. Did they then fell secure against the plan of Allah? But no
one can feel secure from the plan of Allah except those (doomed)
100. To those who inherit the earth in succession to its
(previous) possessors is it not a guiding (lesson) that if We so
willed We could punish them (too) for their sins and seal up
their hearts so that they could not hear?
101. Such were the towns whose story We (thus) relate unto thee:
there came indeed to them their apostles with clear (signs): but
they would not believe what they had rejected before. Thus doth
Allah seal up the heart of those who reject faith
102. Most of them We found not men (true) to their covenant: but
most of them We found rebellious and disobedient
103. Then after them We sent Moses with Our signs to Pharaoh and
his chiefs but they wrongfully rejected them: so see what was the
end of those who made mischief
104. Moses said: "O Pharaoh! I am an apostle from the Lord of the
105. "One for whom it is right to say nothing but truth about
Allah. Now have I come unto you (people) from your Lord with a
clear (sign): so let the children of Israel depart along with
106. (Pharaoh) said: "If indeed thou hast come with a sign show
it forth if thou tellest the truth."
107. Then (Moses) threw his rod and behold! it was a serpent
plain (for all to see)!
108. And he drew out his hand and behold! it was white to all
109. Said the Chiefs of the people of Pharaoh: "This is indeed a
110. "His plan is to get you out of your land then what is it ye
111. They said: "keep him and his brother in suspense (for a
while); and send to the cities men to collect
112. and bring up to thee all (our) sorcerers well-versed."
113. So there came the sorcerers to Pharaoh: they said "Of course
we shall have a (suitable) reward if we win!"
114. He said: "Yea (and more) for ye shall in that case be
(raised to posts) nearest (to my person)."
115. They said: "O Moses! wilt thou throw (first) or shall we
have the (first) throw?"
116. Said Moses: "Throw ye (first)." So when they threw they
bewitched the eyes of the people and struck terror into them: for
they showed a great (feat of) magic
117. We put it into Moses's mind by inspiration: "throw (now) thy
rod": and behold! it swallows up straightway all the falsehoods
which they fake!
118. Thus truth was confirmed and all that they did was made of
119. So the (great ones) were vanquished there and then and were
made to look small
120. But the sorcerers fell down prostrate in adoration
121. Saying: "we believe in the Lord of the worlds
122. "The Lord of Moses and Aaron"
123. Said Pharaoh: "believe ye in him before I give you
permission? Surely this is a trick which ye have planned in the
city to drive out its people: but soon shall ye know (the
124. "Be sure I will cut off your hands and your feet on opposite
sides and I will cause you all to die on the cross."
125. They said: "for us we are but sent back unto our Lord
126. "But thou dost wreak thy vengeance on us simply because we
believed in the signs of our Lord when they reached us! Our
Lord! pour out on us patience and constancy and take our souls
unto thee as Muslims (who bow to thy will)"!
127. Said the chiefs of Pharaoh's people: "wilt thou leave Moses
and his people to spread mischief in the land and to abandon thee
and thy gods?" He said: "Their male children will we slay; (only)
their females will we save alive; and we have over them (power)
128. Said Moses to his people: "Pray for help from Allah and
(wait) in patience and constancy: for the earth is Allah's to
give as a heritage to such of his servants as He pleaseth; and
the end is (best) for the righteous
129. They said: "We have had (nothing but) trouble both before
and after thou comest to us." He said: "It may be that your Lord
will destroy your enemy and make you inheritors in the earth;
that so He may try you by your deeds."
130. We punished the people of Pharaoh with years (of drought)
and shortness of crops; that they might receive admonition
131. But when good (times) came they said "this is due to us";
when gripped by calamity they ascribed it to evil omens connected
with Moses and those with him! Behold! in truth the omens of
evil are theirs in Allah's sight but most of them do not
132. They said (to Moses): "whatever be the signs thou bringest
to work therewith the sorcery on us we shall never believe in
133. So We sent (plagues) on them wholesale death Locusts Lice
Frogs and Blood: signs openly Self-explained; but they were
steeped in arrogance a people given to sin
134. Every time the penalty fell on them they said: "O Moses! on
our behalf call on thy Lord in virtue of his promise to thee: if
thou wilt remove the penalty from us we shall truly believe in
thee and we shall send away the children of Israel with thee."
135. But every time We removed the penalty from them according to
a fixed term which they had to fulfil Behold! they broke their
136. So We exacted retribution from them: We drowned them in the
sea because they rejected Our signs and failed to take warning
137. And We made a people considered weak (and of no account)
inheritors of lands in both east and west lands whereon We sent
down our blessings. The fair promise of the Lord was fulfilled
for the children of Israel because they had patience and
constancy and We levelled to the ground the great works and fine
buildings which Pharaoh and his people erected (with such pride)
138. We took the children of Israel (with safety) across the sea.
They came upon a people devoted entirely to some idols they had.
They said: "O Moses! fashion for us a god like unto the gods they
have." He said: "surely ye are a people without knowledge
139. "As to these folk the cult they are in is (but) a fragment
of a ruin and vain is the (worship) which they practice."
140. He said: "Shall I seek for you a god other than the (true)
Allah when it is Allah who hath endowed you with gifts above the
141. And remember We rescued you from Pharaoh's people who
afflicted you with the worst of penalties who slew your male
children and saved alive your females: in that was a momentous
trial from your Lord
142. We appointed for Moses thirty nights and completed (the
period) with ten (more): thus was completed the term (of
communion) with his Lord forty nights. And Moses had charged his
brother Aaron (before he went up): "Act for me amongst my people:
do right and follow not the way of those who do mischief."
143. When Moses came to the place appointed by Us and his Lord
addressed him He said: "O my Lord! show (Thyself) to me that I
may look upon thee." Allah said: "by no means canst thou see Me
(direct); but look upon the mount; if it abide in its place then
shalt thou see Me." When his Lord manifested his glory on the
mount He made it as dust and Moses fell down in a swoon. When he
recovered his senses he said: "Glory be to Thee! to thee I turn
in repentance and I am the first to believe." (Allah) said: "O
Moses! I have chosen thee above (other) men by the mission I
(have given thee) and the words I (have spoken to thee): take
then the (revelation) which I give thee and be of those who give
144. (Allah) said: "O Moses! I have chosen thee Above (other) men
By the mission I (have Given thee) and the words I (have spoken
to thee): Take then the (revelation) Which I give thee And be of
those Who give thanks."
145. And We ordained laws for him in the tablets in all matters
both commanding and explaining all things (and said): "take and
hold these with firmness and enjoin thy people to hold fast by
the best in the precepts: soon shall I show you the homes of the
wicked (how they lie desolate)."
146. Those who behave arrogantly on the earth in defiance of
right them will turn away from My signs they will not believe in
them; and if they see the way of right conduct they will not
adopt it as the way; but if they see the way of error that is the
way they will adopt; for they rejected Our signs and failed to
take warning from them
147. Those who reject Our signs and the meeting in the hereafter
vain are their deeds: can they expect to be rewarded except as
they have wrought?
148. The people of Moses made in his absence out of their
ornaments the image of a calf (for worship): it seemed to low:
did they not see that it could neither speak to them nor show
them the way? They took it for worship and they did wrong
149. When they repented and saw that they had erred they said:
"If our Lord have not mercy upon us and forgive us we shall
indeed be of those who perish."
150. When Moses came back to his people angry and grieved he
said: "evil it is that ye have done in my place in my absence:
did ye make haste to bring on the judgment of your Lord?" He put
down the tablets seized his brother by (the hair of) his head and
dragged him to him. Aaron said: "son of my mother! the people did
indeed reckon me as naught and went near to slaying me! make not
the enemies rejoice over my misfortune nor count thou me amongst
the people of sin."
151. Moses prayed: "O my Lord! forgive me and my brother! admit
us to Thy mercy! for Thou art the Most Merciful of those who sow
152. Those who took the calf (for worship) will indeed be
overwhelmed with wrath from their Lord and with shame in this
life: thus do We recompense those who invent (falsehoods)
153. But those who do wrong but repent thereafter and (truly)
believe verily Thy Lord is thereafter Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful
154. When the anger of Moses was appeased he took up the tablets:
in the writing thereon was guidance and mercy for such as fear
155. And Moses chose seventy of his people for Our place of
meeting: when they were seized with violent quaking he prayed: "O
my Lord! if it had been Thy will Thou couldst have destroyed long
before both them and me: wouldst Thou destroy us for the deeds of
the foolish one among us? This is no more than Thy trial: by it
Thou causest whom Thou wilt to stray and Thou leadest whom Thou
wilt into the right path. Thou art our protector: so forgive us
and give us Thy mercy; for Thou art the best of those who forgive
156. "And ordain for us that which is good in this life and in
the hereafter: for we have turned unto Thee." He said: "with My
punishment I visit whom I will; but My mercy extendeth to all
things. That (Mercy) I shall ordain for those who do right and
practice regular charity and those who believe in Our signs;
157. "Those who follow the apostle the unlettered prophet whom
they find mentioned in their own (Scriptures); in the law and the
Gospel; for he commands them what is just and forbids them what
is evil: he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and
prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them
from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them.
So it is those who believe in him honor him help him and follow
the light which is sent down with him it is they who will
158. Say: "O men! I am sent unto you all as the apostle of Allah
to Whom belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth:
there is no god but He: it is He that giveth both life and death.
So believe in Allah and His apostle the unlettered Prophet who
believed in Allah and His words: follow him that (so) ye may be
159. Of the people of Moses there is a section who guide and do
justice in the light of truth
160. We divided them into twelve tribes or nations. We directed
Moses by inspiration when his (thirsty) people asked him for
water: "Strike the rock with thy staff": out of it there gushed
forth twelve springs: each group knew its own place for water. We
gave them the shade of clouds and sent down to them manna and
quails (saying): "Eat of the good things We have provided for
you": (but they rebelled): to Us they did no harm but they harmed
their own souls
161. And remember it was said to them: "Dwell in this town and
eat therein as ye wish but say the word of humility and enter the
gate in a posture of humility; We shall forgive you your faults;
We shall increase (the portion of) those who do good."
162. But the transgressors among them changed the word from that
which had been given them; so We sent on them a plague from
heaven for that they repeatedly transgressed
163. Ask them concerning the town standing close by the sea.
Behold! they transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath. For on
the day of their Sabbath their fish did come to them openly
holding up their heads but on the day they had no Sabbath they
came not: thus did We make a trial of them for they were given to
164. When some of them said: "why do ye preach to a people whom
Allah will destroy or visit with a terrible punishment?" Said
the preachers: "to discharge our duty to your Lord and perchance
they may fear him."
165. When they disregarded the warnings that had been given them
We rescued those who forbade evil; but We visited the wrong-doers
with a grievous punishment because they were given to
166. When in their insolence they transgressed (all) prohibition
We said to them: "Be ye apes despised and rejected"
167. Behold! thy Lord did declare that He would send against them
to the Day of Judgment those who would afflict them with grievous
penalty. Thy Lord is quick in retribution but he is also
Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.
168. We broke them up into sections on this earth. There are
among them some that are the righteous and some that are the
opposite. We have tried them with both prosperity and adversity:
in order that they might turn (to us)
169. After them succeeded an (evil) generation: they inherited
the Book but they chose (for themselves) the vanities of this
world saying (for excuse): "(everything) will be forgiven us."
(Even so) if similar vanities came their way they would (again)
seize them. Was not the covenant of the Book taken from them that
they would not ascribe to Allah anything but the truth? And they
study what is in the Book. But best for the righteous is the home
in the hereafter: will ye not understand?
170. As to those who hold fast by the Book and establish regular
prayer; never shall We suffer the reward of the righteous to
171. When We shook the mount over them as if it had been a canopy
and they thought it was going to fall on them (We said): "Hold
firmly to what We have given you and bring (even) to remembrance
what is therein; perchancee ye may fear Allah."
172. When thy Lord drew forth from the children of Adam from
their loins their descendants and made them testify concerning
themselves (saying): "Am I not your Lord (who cherishes and
sustains you)?" They said: "Yea! we do testify!" (This) lest ye
should say on the Day of Judgment: "of this we were never
173. Or lest ye should say: "Our fathers before us may have taken
false gods but we are (their) descendants after them: wilt thou
then destroy us because of the deeds of men who were futile?"
174. Thus do We explain the signs in detail! and perchance they
may turn (unto Us).
175. Relate to them the story of the man to whom We sent our
signs but he passed them by: so satan followed him up and he went
176. If it had been Our will We should have elevated him with our
signs; but he inclined to the earth and followed his own vain
desires. His similitude is that of a dog: if you attack him he
lolls out his tongue or if you leave him alone he (still) lolls
out his tongue. That is the similitude of those who reject our
signs; so relate the story; perchance they may reflect
177. Evil as an example are people who reject Our signs and wrong
their own souls.
178. Whom Allah doth guide he is on the right path: whom He
rejects from His guidance such are the persons who perish
179. Many are the Jinns and men We have made for Hell: They have
hearts wherewith they understand not eyes wherewith they see not
and ears wherewith they hear not. They are like cattle nay more
misguided: for they are heedless (of warning)
180. The most beautiful names belong to Allah: so call on Him by
them; but shun such men as use profanity in His names: for what
they do they will soon be requited
181. Of those We have created are people who direct (others) with
truth and dispense justice therewith
182. Those who reject Our signs We shall gradually visit with
punishment in ways they perceive not
183. Respite will I grant unto them: for My scheme is strong (and
184. Do they not reflect? Their companion is not seized with
madness: he is but a perspicuous warner
185. Do they see nothing in the government of the heavens and the
earth and all that Allah hath created? (Do they not see) that it
may well be that their term is nigh drawing to an end? In what
message after this will they then believe?
186. To such as Allah rejects from His guidance there can be no
guide; He will leave them in their trespasses wandering in
187. They ask thee about the (final) hour when will be its
appointed time? Say: "The knowledge thereof is with my Lord
(alone): none but He can reveal as to when it will occur. Heavy
were its burden through the heavens and the earth. Only all of a
sudden will it come to you. They ask thee as if thou wert eager
in search thereof: Say: "The knowledge thereof is with Allah
(alone) but most men know not."
188. Say: "I have no power over any good or harm to myself except
as Allah willeth. If I had knowledge of the unseen I should have
multiplied all good and no evil should have touched me I am but a
warner and a bringer of glad tidings to those who have faith."
189. It is He who created you from a single person and made his
mate of like nature in order that he might dwell with her (in
love). When they are united she bears a light burden and carries
it about (unnoticed). When she grows heavy they both pray to
Allah their Lord (saying): "if Thou givest us a goodly child we
vow we shall (ever) be grateful."
190. But when He giveth them a goodly child they ascribe to
others a share in the gift they have received: but Allah is
exalted high above the partners they ascribe to Him
191. Do they indeed ascribe to Him as partners things that can
create nothing but are themselves created?
192. No aid can they give them nor can they aid themselves!
193. If ye call them to guidance they will not obey: for you it
is the same whether ye call them or ye hold your peace!
194. Verily those whom ye call upon besides Allah are servants
like unto you: call upon them and let them listen to your prayer
if ye are (indeed) truthful!
195. Have they feet to walk with? or hands to lay hold with? or
eyes to see with? or ears to hear with? Say: "Call your
god-partners scheme (your worst) against me and give me no
196. "For my protector is Allah Who revealed the Book (from time
to time) and He will choose and befriend the righteous
197. "But those ye call upon besides Him are unable to help you
and indeed to help themselves."
198. If thou callest them to guidance they hear not. Thou wilt
see them looking at thee but they see not
199. Hold to forgiveness; command what is right; but turn away
from the ignorant
200. If a suggestion from satan assail thy (mind) seek refuge
with Allah; for He heareth and knoweth (all things)
201. Those who fear Allah when a thought of evil from satan
assaults them bring Allah to remembrance when lo! they see
202. But their brethren (the evil ones) plunge them deeper into
error and never relax (their efforts)
203. If thou bring them not a revelation they say: "why hast thou
not got it together?" Say: "I but follow what is revealed to me
from my Lord: This is (nothing but) lights from your Lord and
guidance and mercy for any who have faith
204. When the Qur'an is read listen to it with attention and hold
your peace: that ye may receive Mercy
205. And do thou (O reader!) bring thy Lord to remembrance in thy
(very) soul with humility and in reverence without loudness in
words in the mornings and evenings; and be not thou of those who
206. Those who are near to thy Lord disdain not to do Him
worship: They celebrate His praises and bow down before Him