#11. Huud *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Alif Lam Ra. (This is) a Book with verses basic or fundamental
(of established meaning) further explained in detail from One Who
is Wise and Well-Acquainted (with all things)
2. (It teacheth) that ye should worship none but Allah. (Say:)
"Verily I am (sent) unto you from Him to warn and to bring glad
3. ("And to preach thus) `Seek ye the forgiveness of your Lord
and turn to Him in repentance; that He may grant you enjoyment
good (and true) for a term appointed and bestow His abounding
grace on all who abound in merit! But if? ye turn away then I
fear for you the Penalty of a Great Day:
4. "`To Allah is your return and He hath power over all things'"
5. Behold! they fold up their hearts that they may lie hid from
Him! Ah! even when they cover themselves with their garments He
knoweth what they conceal and what they reveal: for He knoweth
well the (inmost secrets) of the hearts
6. There is no moving creature on earth but its sustenance
dependeth on Allah He knoweth the time and place of its
temporary deposit: all is in a clear Record
7. He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days and
His Throne was over the Waters that He might try you which of you
is best in conduct. But if thou wert to say to them "Ye shall
indeed be raised up after death" the Unbelievers would be sure to
say "This is nothing but obvious sorcery!"
8. If We delay the Penalty for them for a definite term they are
sure to say "What keeps it back?" Ah! on the day it (actually)
reaches them nothing will turn it away from them and they will be
completely encircled by that which they used to mock at!
9. If We give man a taste of mercy from Ourselves and then
withdraw it from him behold! he is in despair and (falls into)
10. But if We give him a taste of (Our) favors after adversity
hath touched him He is sure to say "All evil has departed from
me;" Behold! he falls into exultation and pride
11. Not so do those who show patience and constancy and work
righteousness for them is forgiveness (of sins) and a great
12. Perchance thou mayest (feel the inclination) to give up a
part of what is revealed unto thee and thy heart feeleth
straitened lest they say "Why is not a treasure sent down unto
him or why does not an angel come down with him? But thou art
there only to warn! It is Allah that arrangeth all affairs!
13. Or they may say "He forged it." Say "Bring ye then ten Surahs
forged like unto it and call (to your aid) whomsoever ye can
other than Allah! if ye speak the truth!
14. "If then they (your false gods) answer not your (call) know
ye that this Revelation is sent down (replete) with the knowledge
of Allah and that there is no god but He! Will ye even then
submit (to Islam)?"
15. Those who desire the life of the Present and its glitter to
them We shall pay (the price of) their deeds therein without
16. They are those for whom there is nothing in the Hereafter but
the Fire: vain are the designs they frame therein and of no
effect are the deeds that they do!
17. Can they be (like) those who accept a Clear (Sign) from their
Lord and whom a witness from Himself doth teach as did the Book
of Moses before it a guide and a mercy? They believe therein; but
those of the Sects that reject it the Fire will be their promised
meeting place. Be not then in doubt thereon: for it is the Truth
from thy Lord: yet many among men do not believe!
18. Who doth more wrong than those who invent a lie against
Allah? They will be turned back to the presence of their Lord and
the witnesses will say "These are the ones who lied against their
Lord! Behold! the Curse of Allah is on those who do wrong!
19. "Those who would hinder (men) from the path of Allah and
would seek in it something crooked: these were they who denied
20. They will in nowise frustrate (His design) on earth nor have
they protectors besides Allah! Their Penalty will be doubled!
They lost the power to hear and they did not see!
21. They are the ones who have lost their own souls: and the
(fancies) they invented have left them in the lurch!
22. Without a doubt these are the very ones who will lose most in
23. But those who believe and work righteousness and humble
themselves before their Lord they will be Companions of the
Garden to dwell therein for aye!
24. These two kinds (of men) may be compared to the blind and
deaf and those who can see and hear well. Are they equal when
compared? Will ye not then take heed?
25. We sent Noah to his people (with a mission): "I have come to
you with a Clear Warning:
26. "That ye serve none but Allah: verily I do fear for you the
Penalty of a Grievous Day."
27. But the Chiefs of the Unbelievers among his people said: "We
see (in) thee nothing but a man like ourselves: nor do we see
that any follow thee but the meanest among us in judgment
immature: nor do we see in you (all) any merit above us: in fact
we think ye are liars!
28. He said: "O my people! see ye if (it be that) I have a Clear
Sign from my Lord and that He hath sent Mercy unto me from His
own Presence but that the Mercy hath been obscured from your
sight? Shall we compel you to accept it when ye are averse to it?
29. "And O my People! I ask you for no wealth in return: my
reward is from none but Allah: but I will not drive away (in
contempt) those who believe: for verily they are to meet their
Lord and ye I see are the ignorant ones!
30. "And O my People! who would help me against Allah if I drove
them away? Will ye not then take heed?
31. "I tell you not that with me are the Treasures of Allah nor
do I know what is hidden nor claim I to be an angel. Nor yet do I
say of those whom your eyes do despise that Allah will not grant
them (all) that is good: Allah knoweth best what is in their
souls: I should if I did indeed be a wrongdoer."
32. They said: "O Noah! thou hast disputed with us and (much)
hast thou prolonged the dispute with us: now bring upon us what
thou threatenest us with if thou speakest the truth!"
33. He said: "Truly Allah will bring it on you if He wills and
then ye will not be able to frustrate it!
34. "Of no profit will be my counsel to you much as I desire to
give you (good) counsel if it be that Allah willeth to leave you
astray: He is your Lord! and to Him will ye return!"
35. Or do they say "He has forged it?" Say: "If I had forged it
on me were my sin! And I am free of the sins of which ye are
36. It was revealed to Noah: "None of thy people will believe
except those who have believed already! So grieve no longer over
their (evil) deeds
37. "But construct an Ark under Our eyes and Our inspiration and
address Me no (further) on behalf of those who are in sin: for
they are about to be overwhelmed (in the Flood)"
38. Forthwith he starts constructing the Ark: every time that the
Chiefs of his People passed by him they threw ridicule on him.
They threw ridicule on him. He said: "If ye ridicule us now we
(in our turn) can look down on you with ridicule likewise!
39. "But soon will ye know who it is on whom will descend a
Penalty that will cover them with shame will be unloosed a
40. At length behold! there came Our Command and the fountains of
the earth gushed forth! We said: "Embark therein of each kind two
male and female and your family except those against whom the
Word has already gone forth and the Believers." But only a few
believed with him
41. So he said: "Embark ye on the Ark in the name of Allah
whether it move or be at rest! For my Lord is be sure
Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful!"
42. So the Ark floated with them on the waves (towering) like
mountains and Noah called out to his son who had separated
himself (from the rest): "O my son! embark with us and be not
with the Unbelievers!"
43. The son replied: "I will be take myself to some mountain: it
will save me from the water." Noah said: "This day nothing can
save from the Command of Allah any but those on whom He hath
mercy!" and the waves came between them and the son was among
those over whelmed in the Flood
44. When the word went forth: "O earth! swallow up thy water and
O sky! withhold (thy rain)!" and the water abated and the matter
was ended. The Ark rested on Mount Judi and the word went forth:
"Away with those who do wrong!"
45. And Noah called upon his Lord and said: "O my Lord! surely my
son is of my family! and Thy promise is true and Thou art the
Justest of Judges!"
46. He said: "O Noah! he is not of thy family: for his conduct is
unrighteous. So ask not of Me that of which thou hast no
knowledge! I give thee counsel lest thou act like the ignorant!"
47. Noah said: "O my Lord! I do seek refuge with Thee lest I ask
Thee for that of which I have no knowledge. And unless Thou
forgive me and have Mercy on me I should indeed be lost!"
48. The word came: "O Noah! come down (from the Ark) with Peace
from Us and Blessings on thee and on some of the Peoples (who
will spring) from those with thee: but (there will be other)
Peoples to whom We shall grant their pleasures (for a time) but
in the end will a grievous Penalty reach them from Us."
49. Such are some of the stories of the Unseen which We have
revealed unto thee: before this neither thou nor thy People knew
them. So persevere patiently: for the End is for those who are
50. To the `Ad People (We sent) Hud one of their own brethren. He
said: "O my people! worship Allah! ye have no other god but Him.
(Your other gods) ye do nothing but invent!
51. "O my people! I ask of you no reward for this (Message). My
reward is from none but Him Who created me: will ye not then
52. "And O my people! ask forgiveness of your Lord and turn to
Him (in repentance): He will send you the skies pouring abundant
rain and add strength to your strength: so turn ye not back in
53. They said: "O Hud! no Clear (Sign) hast thou brought us and
we are not the ones to desert our gods on thy word! Nor do we
believe in thee!
54. "We say nothing but that (perhaps) some of our gods may have
seized thee with imbecility." He said: "I call Allah to witness
and do ye bear witness that I am free from the sin of ascribing
55. "Other gods as partners! So scheme (your worst) against me
all of you and give me no respite
56. "I put my trust in Allah my Lord and your Lord! There is not
a moving creature but He hath grasp of its forelock. Verily it is
my Lord that is on a Straight Path
57. "If ye turn away I (at least) have conveyed the Message with
which I was sent to you. My Lord will make another People to
succeed you and you will not harm Him in the least. For my Lord
hath care and watch over all things."
58. So when Our decree issued We saved Hud and those who believed
with him by (special) Grace from Ourselves: We saved them from a
59. Such were the `Ad people: they rejected the Signs of their
Lord and Cherisher; disobeyed His Apostles; and followed the
command of every powerful obstinate transgressor
60. And they were pursued by a Curse in this Life and on the Day
of Judgment. Ah! behold! for the `Ad rejected their Lord and
Cherisher! Ah! behold! removed (from sight) were `Ad the people
61. To the Thamud People (We sent) Salih one of their own
brethren. He said: "O my people! worship Allah: ye have no other
god but Him. It is He Who hath produced you from the earth and
settled you therein: then ask forgiveness of Him and turn to Him
(in repentance): for my Lord in (always) near ready to answer."
62. They said: "O Salih! thou hast been of us! a center of our
hopes hitherto! Dost thou (now) forbid us the worship of what our
fathers worshipped? But we are really in suspicious (disquieting)
doubt as to that to which thou invitest us"
63. He said: "O my people! Do ye see? if I have a Clear (Sign)
from my Lord and He hath sent Mercy unto me from Himself who then
can help me against Allah if I were to disobey Him? What then
would ye add to my (portion) but perdition?
64. "And O my people! this she-camel of Allah is a symbol to you:
leave her to feed on Allah's (free) earth and inflict no harm on
her or a swift Penalty will seize you!
65. But they did hamstring her. So he said: "Enjoy yourselves in
your homes for three days: (then will be your ruin): there is a
promise not to be belied!"
66. When Our Decree issued We saved Saleh and those who believed
with him by (special) Grace from Ourselves and from the Ignominy
of that Day. For thy Lord He is the Strong One and Able to
enforce His Will
67. The (mighty) Blast overtook the wrongdoers and they lay
prostrate in their homes before the morning
68. As if they had never dwelt and flourished there. Ah! behold!
for the Thamud rejected their Lord and Cherisher! Ah! behold!
removed (from sight) were the Thamud!
69. There came Our Messengers to Abraham with glad tidings. They
said "Peace!" He answered "Peace!" and hastened to entertain them
with a roasted calf
70. But when he saw their hands went not towards the (meal) he
felt some mistrust of them and conceived a fear of them. They
said: "Fear not: we have been sent against the people of Lut."
71. And his wife was standing (there) and she laughed: but We
gave her glad tidings of Isaac and after him of Jacob
72. She said: "Alas for me! Shall I bear a child seeing I am an
old woman and my husband here is an old man? That would indeed be
a wonderful thing!"
73. They said: "Dost thou wonder at Allah's decree? The grace of
Allah and His blessings on you O ye people of the house! for He
is indeed worthy of all praise full of all glory!"
74. When fear had passed from (the mind of) Abraham and the glad
tidings had reached him he began to plead with Us for Lut's
75. For Abraham was without doubt forbearing (of faults)
compassionate and given to look to Allah
76. O Abraham! seek not this. The decree of thy Lord hath gone
forth: for them there cometh a Penalty that cannot be turned
77. When Our Messengers came to Lut he was grieved on their
account and felt himself powerless (to protect) them. He said:
"This is a distressful day."
78. And his people came rushing towards him and they had been
long in the habit of practicing abominations. He said: "O my
people! here are my daughters: they are purer for you (if ye
marry)! Now fear Allah and cover me not with shame about my
guests! Is there not among you a single right-minded man?"
79. They said: "Well dost thou know we have no need of thy
daughters: indeed thou knowest quite well what we want!"
80. He said: "Would that I had power to suppress you or that I
could betake myself to some powerful support."
81. (The Messengers) said "O Lut! we are Messengers from thy
Lord! By no means shall they reach thee! Now travel with thy
family while yet a part of the night remains and let not any of
you look back: but thy wife (will remain behind): to her will
happen what happens to the people. Morning is their time
appointed: is not the morning nigh?"
82. When Our decree issued We turned (the cities) upside down and
rained down on them brimstones hard as baked clay spread layer on
83. Marked as from thy Lord: nor are they ever far from those who
84. To the Madyan people (We sent) Shuaib one of their own
brethren: he said: "O my people! worship Allah: ye have no other
god but Him. And give not short measure or weight: I see you in
prosperity but I fear for you the Penalty of a Day that will
compass (you) all round
85. "And O my people! give just measure and weight nor withhold
from the people the things that are their due: commit not evil in
the land with intent to do mischief
86. "That which is left you by Allah is best for you if ye (but)
believed! But I am not set over you to keep watch!"
87. They said: "Oh Shuaib! does thy (religion of) prayer command
thee that we leave off the worship which our fathers practiced or
that we leave off doing what we like with our property? Truly
though art the one that forbeareth with faults and is
88. He said: "O my people! see ye whether I have a Clear (Sign)
from my Lord and He hath given me sustenance (pure and) good as
from Himself? I wish not in opposition to you to do that which I
forbid you to do. I only desire (your) betterment to the best of
my power; and my success (in my task) can only come from Allah:
in Him I trust and unto Him I look
89. "And O my people! let not my dissent (from you) cause you to
sin lest ye suffer a fate similar to that of the people of Noah
or of Hud or of Salih nor are the people of Lut far off from you!
90. "But ask forgiveness of you Lord and turn unto Him (in
repentance): for my Lord is indeed Full of mercy and
91. They said: "O Shuaib! much of what thou sayest we do not
understand! In fact among us we see that thou hast no strength!
Were it not for thy family we should certainly have stoned thee!
For thou hast among us no great position!"
92. He said: "O my people! is then my family of more
consideration with you than Allah? For ye cast Him away behind
your backs (with contempt). But verily my Lord encompasseth on
all sides all that ye do!
93. "And O my people! do whatever ye can: I will do (my part):
soon will ye know who it is on whom descends the Penalty of
ignominy and who is a liar! And watch ye! for I too am watching
94. When Our decree issued We saved Shuaib and those who believed
with him by (special) Mercy from Ourselves: but the (mighty)
Blast did seize the wrongdoers and they lay prostrate in their
homes by the morning
95. As if they had never dwelt and flourished there! Ah! behold!
how the Madyan were removed (from sight) as were removed the
96. And We sent Moses with Our Clear (Signs) and an authority
97. Unto Pharaoh and his Chiefs: but they followed the command of
Pharaoh and the command of Pharaoh was no right (guide)
98. He will go before his people on the Day of Judgment and lead
them into the Fire (as cattle are led to water): but woeful
indeed will be this leading (and) the place led to!
99. And they are followed by a curse in this (life) and on the
Day of Judgment: and woeful is the gift which shall be given
100. These are some of the stories of communities which We relate
unto thee of them some are standing and some have been mown down
(by the sickle oftime)
101. It was not We that wronged them: they wronged their own
souls: the deities other than Allah whom they invoked profited
them no whit when there issued the decree of thy Lord: nor did
they add aught (to their lot) but perdition!
102. Such is the chastisement of thy Lord when He chastises
communities in the midst of their wrong: grievous indeed and
severe is His chastisement
103. In that is a Sign for those who fear the Penalty of the
Hereafter: that is a Day for which mankind will be gathered
together: that will be a Day of Testimony
104. Nor shall We delay it but for a term appointed
105. The day it arrives no soul shall speak except His leave: of
those (gathered) some will be wretched and some will be blessed
106. Those who are wretched shall be in the Fire: there will be
for them therein (nothing but) the heaving of sighs and sobs:
107. They will dwell therein for all the time that the heavens
and the earth endure except as thy Lord willeth: for thy Lord is
the (sure) Accomplisher of what He planneth
108. And those who are blessed shall be in the Garden: they will
dwell therein for all the time that the heavens and the earth
endure except as thy Lord willeth: a gift without break
109. Be not then in doubt as to what these men worship. They
worship nothing but what their fathers worshipped before (them):
but verily We shall pay them back (in full) their portion without
(the least) abatement
110. We certainly gave the Book to Moses but differences arose
therein: had it not been that a Word had gone forth before from
thy Lord the matter would have been decided between them: but
they are in suspicious doubt concerning it
111. And of a surety to all will your Lord pay back (in full the
recompense) of their deeds: for He knoweth well all that they do
112. Therefore stand firm (in the straight path) as thou art
commanded thou and those who with thee turn (unto Allah); and
transgress not (from the Path): for He seeth well all that ye do
113. And incline not to those who do wrong or the Fire will seize
you; and ye have no protectors other than Allah nor shall ye be
114. And establish regular prayers at the two ends of the day and
at the approaches of the night: for those things that are good
remove those that are evil: be that the word of remembrance to
those who remember (their Lord)
115. And be steadfast in patience; for verily Allah will not
suffer the reward of the righteous to perish
116. Why were there not among the generations before you persons
possessed of balanced good sense prohibiting (men) from mischief
in the earth except few among them whom We saved (from harm)? But
the wrongdoers pursued the enjoyment of the good things of life
which were given them and persisted in sin
117. Nor would thy Lord be the One to destroy communities for a
single wrongdoing if its members were likely to mend
118. If thy Lord had so willed He could have made mankind one
People: but they will not cease to dispute
119. Except those on whom He hath bestowed His Mercy: and for
this did He create them: and the Word of thy Lord shall be
fulfilled: "I will fill Hell with jinns and men all together."
120. All that We relate to thee of the stories of the apostles
with it We make firm thy heart: in them there cometh to thee the
Truth as well as an exhortation and a message of remembrance to
those who believe
121. Say to those who do not believe: "Do whatever ye can: we
shall do our part
122. "And wait ye! we too shall wait."
123. To Allah do belong the unseen (secrets) of the heavens and
the earth and to Him goeth back every affair (for decision): then
worship Him and put thy trust in Him: and thy Lord is not
unmindful of aught that ye do