#19. Maryam *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Kaf. Ha. Ya. Ain. Sad.
2. (This is) a recital of the Mercy of thy Lord to His Servant
3. Behold! he cried to his Lord in secret
4. Praying: "O my Lord! infirm indeed are my bones and the hair
of my head doth glisten with grey: but never am I unblest O my
Lord in my prayer to Thee!
5. "Now I fear (what) my relatives (and colleagues) (will do)
after me: but my wife is barren: so give me an heir as from
6. "(One that) will (truly) represent me and represent the
posterity of Jacob and make him O my Lord! one with whom Thou art
7. (His prayer was answered): "O Zakariya! We give thee good news
of a son: his name shall be Yahya: on none by that name have We
conferred distinction before."
8. He said: "O my Lord! how shall I have a son when my wife is
barren and I have grown quite decrepit from old age?"
9. He said: "So (it will be): thy Lord saith `That is easy for
Me: I did indeed create thee before when thou hadst been
10. (Zakariya) said "O my Lord! give me a Sign." "Thy Sign" was
the answer "shall be that thou shalt speak to no man for three
nights although thou art not dumb."
11. So Zakariya came out to his people from his chamber: he told
them by signs to celebrate Allah's praises in the morning and in
12. (To his son came the command): "O Yahya! take hold of the
Book with might": and We gave him wisdom even as a youth
13. And pity (for all creatures) as from Us and purity: he was
14. And kind to his parents and he was not overbearing or
15. So Peace on him the day he was born the day that he dies and
the day that he will be raised up to life (again)!
16. Relate in the Book (the story of) Mary when she withdrew from
her family to a place in the East
17. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them: then We
sent to her Our angel and he appeared before her as a man in all
18. She said: "I seek refuge from thee to (Allah) Most Gracious:
(come not near) if thou dost fear Allah."
19. He said: "Nay I am only a messenger from thy Lord (to
announce) to thee the gift of a holy son."
20. She said: "How shall I have a son seeing that no man has
touched me and I am not unchaste?"
21. He said: "So (it will be): thy Lord saith `That is easy for
Me: and (We wish) to appoint him as a Sign unto men and a Mercy
from Us': it is a matter (so) decreed."
22. So she conceived him and she retired with him to a remote
23. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a
palm-tree: she cried (in her anguish): "Ah! would that I had died
before this! Would that I had been a thing forgotten and out of
24. But (a voice) cried to her from beneath the (palm-free):
"Grieve not! for thy Lord hath provided a rivulet beneath thee;
25. "And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree: it
will let fall fresh ripe dates upon thee
26. "So eat and drink and cool (thine) eye. And if thou dost see
any man say `I have vowed a fast to (Allah) Most Gracious and
this day will I enter into no talk with any human being.'"
27. At length she brought the (babe) to her people carrying him
(in her arms). They said: "O Mary! truly an amazing thing hast
28. "O sister of Aaron! thy father was not a man of evil nor thy
mother a woman unchaste!"
29. But she pointed to the babe. They said: "How can we talk to
one who is a child in the cradle?"
30. He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me
revelation and made me a prophet
31. "And He hath made me Blessed wheresoever I be and hath
enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live
32. "(He) hath made me kind to my mother and not overbearing or
33. "So Peace is on me the day I was born the day that I die and
the Day that I shall be raised up to life (again)"!
34. Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of
truth about which they (vainly) dispute
35. It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should
beget a son. Glory be to Him! When He determines a matter He only
says to it "Be" and it is
36. Verily Allah is my Lord and your Lord: Him therefore serve
ye: this is a Way that is straight
37. But the sects differ among themselves: and woe to the
Unbelievers because of the (coming) Judgment of a momentous Day!
38. How plainly will they see and hear the Day that they will
appear before Us! But the unjust today are in error manifest!
39. But warn them of the Day of Distress when the matter will be
determined: for (behold) they are negligent and they do not
40. It is We Who will inherit the earth and all beings thereon:
to Us will they all be returned
41. Also mention in the Book (the story of) Abraham: he was a man
of Truth a prophet
42. Behold he said to his father: "O my father! why worship that
which heareth not and seeth not and can profit thee nothing?
43. "O my father! to me hath come knowledge which hath not
reached thee: so follow me: I will guide thee to a Way that is
even and straight
44. "O my father! serve not Satan: for Satan is a rebel against
(Allah) Most Gracious
45. "O my father! I fear lest a Penalty afflict thee from (Allah)
Most Gracious so that thou become to Satan a friend."
46. (The father) replied: "Dost thou hate my gods O Abraham? If
thou forbear not I will indeed stone thee: now get away from me
for a good long while!"
47. Abraham said: "Peace be on thee: I will pray to my Lord for
thy forgiveness: for He is to me Most Gracious
48. "And I will turn away from you (all) and from those whom ye
invoke besides Allah: I will call on my Lord: Perhaps by my
prayer to my Lord I shall be not unblest."
49. When he had turned away from them and from those whom they
worshipped besides Allah We bestowed on him Isaac and Jacob and
each one of them We made a prophet
50. And We bestowed of Our Mercy on them and We granted them
lofty honor on the tongue of truth
51. Also mention in the Book (the story of) Moses: for he was
specially chosen and he was an apostle (and) a prophet
52. And We called him from the right side of Mount (Sinai) and
made him draw near to Us for mystic (converse)
53. And out of Our Mercy We gave him his brother Aaron (also) a
54. Also mention in the Book (the story of) Ismail: He was
(strictly) true to what he promised and he was an apostle (and) a
55. He used to enjoin on his people Prayer and Charity and he was
most acceptable in the sight of his Lord
56. Also mention in the Book the case of Idris: he was a man of
truth (and sincerity) (and) a prophet:
57. And We raised him to a lofty station
58. Those were some of the prophets on whom Allah did bestow His
Grace of the posterity of Adam and of those whom We carried (in
the Ark) with Noah and of the posterity of Abraham and Israel of
those whom We guided and chose; whenever the Signs of (Allah)
Most Gracious were rehearsed to them they would fall down in
prostrate adoration and in tears
59. But after them there followed a posterity who missed prayers
and followed after lusts: soon then will they face Destruction
60. Except those who repent and believe and work righteousness:
for these will enter the Garden and will not be wronged in the
61. Gardens of Eternity those which (Allah) Most Gracious has
promised to His servants in the Unseen: for His promise must
(necessarily) come to pass
62. They will not there hear any vain discourse but only
salutations of peace and they will have therein their sustenance
morning and evening
63. Such is the Garden which We give as an inheritance to those
of Our Servants who guard against evil
64. (The angels say:) "We descend not but by command of thy Lord:
to Him belongeth what is before us and what is behind us and what
is between: and thy Lord never doth forget"
65. "Lord of the heavens and of the earth and of all that is
between them: so worship Him and be constant and patient in His
worship: knowest thou of any who is worthy of the same Name as
66. Man says: "What! when I am dead shall I then be raised up
67. But does not man call to mind that We created him before out
68. So by thy Lord without doubt We shall gather them together
and (also) the Evil Ones (with them); then shall We bring them
forth on their knees round about Hell
69. Then shall We certainly drag out from every sect all those
who were worst in obstinate rebellion against (Allah) Most
70. And certainly We know best those who are most worthy of being
71. Not one of you but will pass over it: this is with thy Lord a
Decree which must be accomplished
72. But We shall save those who guarded against evil and We shall
leave the wrongdoers therein (humbled) to their knees
73. When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them the Unbelievers
say to those who believe "Which of the two sides is best in point
of position? Which makes the best show in council?"
74. But how many (countless) generations before them have We
destroyed who were even better in equipment and in glitter to the
75. Say: "If any men go astray (Allah) Most Gracious extends (the
rope) to them. Until when they see the warning of Allah (being
fulfilled) either in punishment or in (the approach of) the Hour
they will at length realize who is worst in position and (who)
weakest in forces
76. "And Allah doth advance in guidance those who seek guidance;
and the things that endure. Good Deeds are best in the sight of
thy Lord as rewards and best in respect of (their) eventual
77. Hast thou then seen the (sort of) man who rejects Our Signs
yet says: "I shall certainly be given wealth and children"?
78. Has he penetrated to the Unseen or has he taken a contract
with (Allah) Most Gracious?
79. Nay! We shall record what he says and We Shall add and add to
80. To Us shall return all that he talks of and he shall appear
before Us bare and alone
81. And they have taken (for worship) gods other than Allah to
give them power and glory!
82. Instead they shall reject their worship and become
adversaries against them
83. Seest thou not that We have set the Evil Ones on against the
Unbelievers to incite them with fury?
84. So make no haste against them for We but count out to them a
(limited) number (of days)
85. The day We shall gather the righteous to (Allah) Most
Gracious like a band presented before a king for honors
86. And We shall drive the sinners to Hell like thirsty cattle
driven down to water
87. None shall have the power of intercession but such a one as
has received permission (or promise) from (Allah) Most Gracious
88. They say: "(Allah) Most Gracious has begotten a son!"
89. Indeed ye have put forth a thing most monstrous!
90. At if the skies are ready to burst the earth to split asunder
and the mountains to fall down in utter ruin
91. That they should invoke a son for (Allah) Most Gracious
92. For it is not consonant with the majesty of (Allah) Most
Gracious that He should beget a son
93. Not one of the beings in the heavens and the earth but must
come to (Allah) Most Gracious as a servant
94. He does take and account of them (all) and hath numbered them
95. And every one of them will come to him singly on the Day of
96. On those who believe and work deeds of righteousness will
(Allah) Most Gracious bestow Love
97. So have We made the (Qur'an) easy in thine own tongue that
with it thou mayest give Glad Tidings to the righteous and
warnings to people given to contention
98. But how many (countless) generation before them have We
destroyed? Canst thou find a single one of them (now) or hear (so
much as) a whisper ofthem?