#21. Anbiyaa *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Closer and closer to mankind comes their Reckoning: yet they
heed not and they turn away
2. Never comes (aught) to them of a renewed Message from their
Lord but they listen to it as in jest
3. Their hearts toying as with trifles. The wrongdoers conceal
their private counsels (saying) "Is this (one) more than a man
like yourselves? Will ye go to witchcraft with your eyes open?"
4. Say: "My Lord knoweth (every) word (spoken) in the heavens and
the earth He is the One that heareth and knoweth (all things)."
5. "Nay" they say "(these are) medleys of dreams! nay he forged
it!- -nay he is (but) a poet! Let him then bring us a Sign like
the ones that were sent to (prophets) of old!"
6. (As to those) before them not one of the populations which We
destroyed believed: will these believe?
7. Before thee also the apostles we sent were but men to whom We
granted inspiration: if ye realize this not ask of those who
possess the Message
8. Nor did We give them bodies that ate no food nor were they
exempt from death
9. In the end We fulfilled to them Our promise and We saved them
and those I whom We pleased but We destroyed those who
transgressed beyond bounds
10. We have revealed for you (O men!) a book in which is a
Message for you will ye not then understand?
11. How many were the populations we utterly destroyed because of
their iniquities setting up in their places other peoples!
12. Yet when they felt Our Punishment (coming) behold they (tried
to) flee from it
13. Flee not but return to the good things of this life which
were given you and to your homes in order that ye may be called
14. They said: "Ah! woe to us! We were indeed wrongdoers!"
15. And that cry of theirs ceased not till We made them as a
field that is mown as ashes silent and quenched
16. Not for (idle) sport did We create the heavens and the earth
and all that is between!
17. If it had been Our wish to take (just) a pastime We should
surely have taken it from the things nearest to Us if We would do
(such a thing)!
18. Nay We hurl the Truth against falsehood and it knocks out its
brain and behold falsehood doth perish! Ah! woe be to you for the
(false) things ye ascribe (to Us)
19. To Him belong all (creatures) in the heavens and on earth:
even those who are in His (very) Presence are not too proud to
serve Him nor are they (ever) weary (of His service):
20. They celebrate His praises night and day nor do they ever
flag or intermit
21. Or have they taken (for worship) gods from the earth who can
raise (the dead)?
22. If there were in the heavens and the earth other gods besides
Allah there would have been confusion in both! But glory to Allah
the Lord of the Throne: (high is He) above what they attribute to
23. He cannot be questioned for His acts but they will be
questioned (for theirs)
24. Or have they taken for worship (other) gods besides Him? Say
"Bring your convincing proof: this is the Message of those with
me and the Message of those before me." But most of them know not
the Truth and so turn away
25. Not an apostle did We send before thee without this
inspiration sent by Us to him: that there is no god but I
therefore worship and serve Me
26. And they say: "(Allah) Most Gracious has begotten offspring."
Glory to Him! they are (but) servants raised to honor
27. They speak not before He speaks and they act (in all things)
by His command
28. He knows what is before them and what is behind them and they
offer no intercession except for those who are acceptable and
they stand in awe and reverence of His (glory)
29. If any of them should say "I am a god besides Him" such a god
We should reward with Hell: thus do We reward those who do wrong
30. Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth
were joined together (as one unit of Creation) before We clove
them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they
not then believe?
31. And We have set on the earth mountains standing firm lest it
should shake with them and We have made therein broad highways
(between mountains) for them to pass through: that they may
32. And We have made the heavens as a canopy well-guarded: Yet do
they turn away from the Signs which these things (point to)!
33. It is He Who created the Night and the Day and the sun and
the moon: all (the celestial bodies) swim along each in its
34. We granted not to any man before thee permanent life (here):
if then thou shouldst die would they live permanently?
35. Every soul shall have a taste of death: and We test you by
evil and by good by way of trial: to Us must ye return
36. When the Unbelievers see thee they treat thee not except with
ridicule. "Is this" (they say) "the one who talks of your gods?"
And they blaspheme at the mention of (Allah) Most Gracious!
37. Man is a creature of haste: soon (enough) will I show you My
Signs: then ye will not ask Me to hasten them!
38. They say: "When will this promise come to pass if ye are
telling the truth?"
39. If only the Unbelievers knew (the time) when they will not be
able to ward off the Fire from their faces nor yet from their
backs and (when) no help can reach them!
40. Nay it may come to them all of a sudden and confound them: no
power will they have then to avert it nor will they (then) get
41. Mocked were (many) apostles before thee; but their scoffers
were hemmed in by the thing that they mocked
42. Say "Who can keep you safe by night and by day from (the
Wrath of) (Allah) Most Gracious?" Yet they turn away from the
mention of their Lord
43. Or have they gods that can guard them from Us? They have no
power to aid themselves nor can they be defended from Us
44. Nay We gave the good things of this life to these men and
their fathers until the period grew long for them; see they not
that we gradually reduce the land (in their control) from its
outlying borders? Is it then they who will win?
45. Say "I do but warn you according to revelation": but the
deaf will not hear the call (even) when they are warned!
46. If but a breath of the Wrath of thy Lord do touch them they
will then say "Woe to us! we did wrong indeed!"
47. We shall set up scales of justice for the Day of Judgment so
that not a soul will be dealt with unjustly in the least. And if
there be (no more than) the weight of a mustard seed We will
bring it (to account): and enough are We to take account
48. In the past We granted to Moses and Aaron the Criterion (for
judgment) and a Light and a Message for those who would do right
49. Those who fear their Lord in their most secret thoughts and
who hold the Hour (of Judgment) in awe
50. And this is a blessed Message which We have sent down: will
ye then reject it?
51. We bestowed aforetime on Abraham his rectitude of conduct and
well were We acquainted with him
52. Behold! he said to his father and his people "What are these
images to which ye are (so assiduously) devoted?"
53. They said "We found our father worshipping them."
54. He said "Indeed ye have been in manifest error-ye and your
55. They said "Have you brought us the Truth or are you one of
those who jest?"
56. He said "Nay your Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the
earth He Who created them (from nothing): and I am a witness to
57. And by Allah I have a plan for your idols after ye go away
and turn your backs"
58. So he broke them to pieces (all) but the biggest of them that
they might turn (and address themselves) to it
59. They said "Who has done this to our gods? He must indeed be
some man of impiety!"
60. They said "We heard a youth talk of them: he is called
61. They said "Then bring him before the eyes of the people that
they may bear witness:"
62. They said "Art thou the one that did this with our gods O
63. He said: "Nay this was done by this is their is their biggest
one! Ask them if they can speak intelligently!"
64. So they turned to themselves and said "Surely ye are the ones
in the wrong!"
65. Then were they confounded with shame: (they said) "Thou
knowest full well that these (idols) do not speak!"
66. (Abraham) said "Do ye then worship besides Allah things that
can neither be of any good to you nor do you harm?
67. "Fie upon you and upon the things that ye worship besides
Allah! have ye no sense?"
68. They said "Burn him and protect your gods if ye do (anything
69. We said "O fire! be thou cool and (a means of)) safety for
70. Then they sought a stratagem against him: but We made them
the ones that lost most!
71. But We delivered him and (his nephew) Lut (and directed them)
to the land which We have blessed for the nations
72. And We bestowed on him Isaac and as an additional gift (a
grandson) Jacob and We made righteous men of every one (of them)
73. And We made them leaders guiding (men) by Our Command and We
sent them inspiration to do good deeds to establish regular
prayers and to practice regular charity; and they constantly
served Us (and Us only)
74. And to Lut too we gave Judgment and Knowledge and We saved
him from the town which practiced abominations: truly they were a
people given to Evil a rebellious people
75. And We admitted him to Our Mercy: for he was one of the
76. (Remember) Noah when he cried (to Us) aforetime: We listened
to his (prayer) and delivered him and his family from great
77. We helped him against people who rejected Our Signs: truly
they were a people given to Evil: so We drowned them (in the
Flood) all together
78. And remember David and Solomon when they gave judgment in the
matter of the field into which the sheep of certain people had
strayed by night: We did witness their judgment
79. To Solomon We inspired the (right) understanding of the
matter: to each (of them) We gave Judgment and Knowledge; it was
Our power that made the hills and the birds celebrate Our praises
with David: it was We Who did (these things)
80. It was We Who taught him the making of coats of mail for your
benefit to guard you from each others violence: will ye then be
81. (It was Our power that made) the violent (unruly) wind flow
(tamely) for Solomon to his order to the land which We had
blessed: for We do know all things
82. And of the evil ones were some who dived for him and did
other work besides; and lit was We Who guarded them
83. And (remember) Job when he cried to his Lord "Truly distress
has seized me? but Thou art the Most Merciful of those that are
84. So We listened to him: We removed the distress that was on
him and We restored his people to him and doubled their number as
a Grace from Ourselves and a thing for commemoration for all who
85. And (remember) Ismail Idris and Zul-kifl all (men) of
constancy and patience
86. We admitted them to Our Mercy: for they were of the Righteous
87. And remember Zun-nun when he departed in wrath: he imagined
that We had no power over him! But he cried through the depths of
darkness "There is no god but Thou: Glory to Thee: I was indeed
88. So We listened to him: and delivered him from distress: and
thus do We deliver those who have faith
89. And (remember) Zakariya when he cried to his Lord: "O my
Lord! leave me not without offspring though Thou art the best of
90. So We listened to him: and We granted him Yahya: We cured his
wife's (barrenness) for him. These three were ever quick in
emulation in good works: they used to call on Us with love and
reverence and humble themselves before Us
91. And (remember) her who guarded her chastity: We breathed into
her of Our Spirit and We made her and her son a Sign for all
92. Verily this Brotherhood of yours is a single Brotherhood and
I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore serve Me (and no other)
93. But (later generations) cut off their affair (of unity) one
from another (yet) will they all return to Us
94. Whoever works any act of righteousness and has Faith his
endeavor will not be rejected: We shall record it in his favor
95. But there is a ban on any population which We have destroyed:
that they shall not return
96. Until the Gog and Magog (people) are let through (their
barrier) and they swiftly swarm from every hill
97. Then will the True Promise draw nigh (of fulfillment): then
behold! the eyes of the Unbelievers will fixedly stare in horror:
"Ah! woe to us! we were indeed heedless of this; nay we truly did
98. Verily ye (Unbelievers) and the (false) gods that ye worship
besides Allah are (but) fuel for Hell! To it will ye (surely)
99. If these had been gods they would not have got there! But
each one will abide therein
100. There sobbing will be their lot nor will they there hear
101. Those for whom the Good (Record) from Us has gone before
will be removed far therefrom
102. Not the slightest sound will they hear of Hell: what their
souls desired in that will they dwell
103. The Great Terror will bring them no grief: but the angels
will meet them (with mutual greetings): "This is your Day (the
Day) that ye were promised."
104. The Day that we roll up the heavens like a scroll rolled up
for books (completed) even as We produced the first Creation so
shall We produce a new one: a promise We have undertaken: truly
shall We fulfil it
105. Before this We wrote in the Psalms after the Message (given
to Moses): My servants the righteous shall inherit the earth."
106. Verily in the (Qur'an) is a Message for people who would
(truly) worship Allah
107. We sent thee not but as a mercy for all creatures
108. Say: "What has come to me by inspiration is that your Allah
is One Allah: will ye therefore bow to His Will (in Islam)?"
109. But if they turn back say: "I have proclaimed the Message to
you all alike and in truth; but I know not whether that which ye
are promised is near or far
110. "It is He Who knows what is open in speech and what ye hide
(in your hearts)"
111. "I know not but that it may be a trial for you and a grant
of (worldly)" livelihood (to you) for a time
112. Say: "O my Lord! judge Thou in truth!" "Our Lord Most
Gracious is the One Whose assistance should be sought against the
blasphemies ye utter!"